Sami (Sam) Meziani is a trial lawyer with 14 years’ experience representing corporations and individuals in commercial, real property, energy, securities, oil and gas, catastrophic personal injury, federal criminal defense, and eminent domain matters. Sam believes in rigorous early case assessment and investigation and prepares each matter for successful resolution, by motion or trial. Sam currently represents clients in the following areas:
- Commercial disputes
- Real estate disputes
- Defense of personal injury claims
- Defense of Section 1983 civil rights claims
- White collar criminal investigations and defense
- PacifiCorp v. Vineyard Properties of Utah (2015) (eminent domain bench trial)
- Rocky Mountain Power v. Barker (2012) (eminent domain jury trial)
- Rocky Mountain Power v. Hillam (2012) (eminent domain jury trial)
- Trans-Western Petroleum v. United States Gypsum Company (2012) (oil and gas lease bench trial)
- Rocky Mountain Power v. Woodard (2011) (eminent domain jury trial)
- United States v. DeHerrera (2007) (felony firearm jury trial)
- Syndicate Exchange Company v. Crusher (2006) (commercial bench trial)
Significant Litigation Experience
- PacifiCorp v. Andalex Resources, Inc. (2017) (immediate occupancy hearing for mine drain pipeline)
- Pro-Mold v. ESI Extrusion Srvs., 81 U.C.C. Rep. Serv. 2d. 72 (2013) (summary judgment in Uniform Commercial Code matter)
- United States v. Kamahele (D. Utah 2012) (successfully represented defendant accused of RICO charges)
- Trans-Western Petroleum, Inc. v. U.S. Gypsum Co., 584 F.3d 988 (10th Cir. 2009) (breach of oil and gas lease)
- Mack v. Utah Division of Securities, 221 P.3d 194 (Utah 2009) (obtained injunction preventing prosecution by agency)
- United States v. Hairup, 565 F. Supp. 2d 1309 (D. Utah 2008) (granted motion to dismiss indictment for aggravated identity theft)
- Basic Research v. Weber (D. Utah 2008) (successfully defended patent infringement claims)
- Kern River Gas Transmission Company v. 8.47 Acres (D. Utah 2006) (defended severance damage claims asserted by Salt Lake City Airport).
- Represented Kern River Gas Transmission Company in expansion projects in Las Vegas, Nevada, and Davis County, Utah.
- Represented and advised landowners in takings by government entities.
Prior Work Experience
- Van Cott, Bagley, Cornwall & McCarthy, Shareholder (2004-2014)
- PacifiCorp, Senior Litigation Counsel (2014-2017)
- Represented PacifiCorp as first chair counsel in motion practice and trial.
- Directed litigation strategy and outside counsel in high-stakes commercial and catastrophic personal injury cases.
- Directly responsible for over $100 million in claims and disputes.
- Loyola University Chicago (J.D., 2003)
- University of Utah (B.A., English 1999)
Bar & Court Admissions
- Utah State Bar (2003)
- United States District Court for the District of Utah (2003)
- Wyoming State Bar (2010)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit (2011)
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Board Member, Salt Lake County Bar Association, 2012- present
- Member, David Watkins- Sutherland II American Inn of Court, 2014-present
Presentations & Publications
- Fear-Based Damage Claims in Electric Transmission Condemnation Trials, American Bar Association Energy Litigation Journal, 2013
- Creating a Litigation and Trial Strategy in Eminent Domain Cases, Thomson Reuters / Aspatore, Inside the Minds: Leading Lawyers on Examining Condemnation and Compensation Issues in a Post-Kelo Environment, 2014
Honors & Awards
- Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® peer review as AV® Preeminent®