Terry’s clients include hospitals, physician groups, insurers, chiropractors and dental specialists. He combines his law degree with a graduate degree in Healthcare Administration. Prior to his legal career, he worked in-house as a hospital administrator. As such, he has been connected to the healthcare field his entire professional career, since 1984. Terry provides his clients not only knowledge of the law, but also a deep understanding of the healthcare environment and the unique medical issues and facts involved in medical malpractice cases.
With 27 years of law practice, his actual medical malpractice trial experience is significant in the Utah market, having first gone to trial representing health care providers in 1992, and continuing to the present, including four trials in 2014-2015. During that time, Mr. Rooney has tried cases in Salt Lake City and the surrounding communities, including St. George, Heber, Farmington and Vernal.
For 27 years, Terry has defended one of the largest hospitals and medical centers in Utah against medical malpractice claims. This unique healthcare system includes four hospitals, ten community health centers and several specialty centers. It is associated with 1,100 board-certified physicians and employs 8,000 staff.
Terry also represents the largest single insurer of dentists in Utah, and has done so for 27
When not representing health care providers, Terry represents select individuals and families that have suffered serious injuries and deaths. Because of his history of representing health care providers, however, Terry does not represent individuals seeking to bring claims against health care providers and refers those specific cases out of the office.
- S.J. Quinney College of Law, University of Utah (J.D. 1990)
- Washington University (St. Louis), (M.A. Healthcare Administration 1984)
- Jacksonville University (B.S. 1982 magna cum laude)
BAR & COURT ADMISSIONS
- District of Columbia
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC INVOLVEMENT
- Utah Bar Association
- Washington Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Board of Directors, Family Promise, Salt Lake, 2007 - 2013
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Speaker, Cyber Security – What are the threats and how can healthcare systems protect sensitive data?, Utah Business Healthcare Solutions Summit, September 2016
- Terry is a frequent speaker to health care associations and professionals regarding medical and legal issues.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Best Lawyers® 2017 Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants “Lawyer of the Year” in Salt Lake City
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® for Medical Malpractice Law
- Recognized as Utah Legal Elite in Health Care/Medical, by Utah Business Magazine
- Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer review as AV® Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
- Mountain States Super Lawyer